• Hannah Schilling
    bfxzapa1y5gb4l85.jpg

When the next generation asks ‘What did you do when the biggest drug epidemic hit this country?’ we want to be able say – and I think we will be able to say now – that we did something that no one had ever seen before.
    Navdeep S. Kang, PsyD, HSP, CGP
    Director of Operations, Behavioral Health BSMH

Ohio has ranked first nationwide in opioid death since 2014. Mercy Health is committed to lead the charge to change that statistic. Mercy Health and AmeriCorps partnered to build Mercy Serves, a diverse, energetic, volunteer corps serving in Mercy Health Emergency Departments across the Tri-state area to prevent and reduce substance and opioid use.

As a part of the broader opioid epidemic response, AmeriCorps members provide patient education, substance use risk screening, emotional support, and referrals to treatment and social services for Emergency Department patients. Being on the front line of a patient experience also requires what the Mercy Serves members are none for and that is the “Human Touch”. Being able to provide compassionate care to a patient who is in crisis, or experiencing anxiety around being in the emergency department; a listening ear about their situation is a part of the care. An increase in other social disparities has also opened the door for members to begin systematic screenings and referrals for social determinants of health (SDOH) which began in January 2023, with a focus on food, housing, and financial insecurity. AmeriCorps members work alongside nurses, providers, and social workers to ensure that patients receive necessary support and resources to make healthy choices and encourage behavior change.

As an AmeriCorps program, this is a TEMPORARY, 11-month service position. Compensation is paid in the form of a bi-weekly living stipend, health benefits, and professional development training/opportunities. Each member is eligible to receive an education award upon completion of all service requirements. Recruitment for the next service term is happening now. If you know someone who is looking for an opportunity to give back through service let them know about this opportunity. As the program manager I always say that service is not for the faint of heart, this is the work of “SUPERHEROS” what is your super power?

You can reach the Mercy Serves Program Manager, Tikierra Thompson via email:

19tfu1zwlgaous5d.jpg

I recently began my role as Program Manager for Mercy Serves after working in the field of education for over 15years. People and community have always played a very large part of who I am. I never meet a stranger and find great value in networking and relationships. We all have a story, and I have seen and heard so many traumatic stories and situations of how SUD has affected the lives of so many. So being a part of the Mercy Health Community Health team was a great fit for who I am. The opportunity to educate, serve, and provide compassionate care to and through community is the opportunity of a lifetime. I don’t take lightly the work that we all are doing in this field and it is an honor to work alongside people who want to make a difference.

Tikierra (Tiki) Thompson
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet