• Michelle Gabbard
    HIV Questions and Answers. Update your knowledge.

If someone is HIV positive and they disclose to you that they are having unprotected sex and not disclosing, it to their partners what can you do or is there anything you can do?
    No, you can't do anything with it, I have had clients who get diagnosed and, in the end, we can't say anything to their known spouse or partner. Now their DIS worker with HCPH who reviews their contacts can notify the person (spouse or partner) that they may have come in contact with HIV but won't specify who the point of contact was. They will only give them a time frame.

What if we are working with the client with the HIV status and we are working with their partner or know their partner?
    I had that in the clinic I worked at, I had a positive client who disclosed to me that they were not on their HIV medication for treatment and couldn't disclose that to his new partner who was also a client coming to the clinic.

Can someone with a known HIV status that is arrested for solicitation be charged with additional charges related to the HIV status?

They can charge for soliciting while knowing which I think is silly because no one gets charged for any other diseases. But it doesn't happen that often in my personal experience.

HIV Law and Policy
    https://www.hivlawandpolicy.org/sites/default/files/Ohio%20-%20Excerpt%20from%20CHLP
    https://ohmodernizenow.org/

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE ARRESTED OR AT RISK OF AN ARREST ON AN HIV CRIMINALIZATION CHARGE:

• DO NOT disclose your status to law enforcement officers without a lawyer present.
    • DO NOT talk to police or investigators without a lawyer present unless to give identification.
    • DO NOT consent to any medical tests (including blood draws or saliva swabs).
    • DO NOT sign anything without first consulting a lawyer.
    • DO NOT discuss your situation with anyone on the phone, social media, email, or in person before consulting your lawyer.
    • DO NOT contact the person who is or may be pressing charges against you.
    • DO request a lawyer as soon as you have been charged with any crime.
    • DO contact a local HIV legal services organization or CHKP for connections to possible attorneys and/or resources related to the routes and risks of HIV transmission.
    • DO provide treatment records, medication history, documents proving disclosure to your attorney as soon as possible.
    • Do protect yourself from further criminal charges by not resisting arrest.
    • For legal referrals email Quality Ohio legal clinic at
  • tomcarlson
    The situation you describe raises ethical and legal complexities surrounding HIV disclosure and public health. While healthcare professionals are bound by confidentiality rules, the paramount concern is the well-being of both the person living with HIV and their potential partners.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Recovery Connections!

We encourage you to create an account to help grow our community of contributors!